VirtualTourist.com will close on Feb 27th.

"El Vedado" Cuba Things to Do Tip by alza

Cuba Things to Do: 396 reviews and 710 photos

Tinajone
by alza

There's a mix of everything in this district of Havana, and something for everyone.
I stayed in Centro Havana. I got used to its derelict buildings and broken pavements, streets teaming with life, not many tourists.

Later, I went to Vedado and thought it was so much nicer, greener, wide avenues, big houses in the residential sector, great ice-cream at Coppelia's, CD stores, restaurants and bars, and of course, the Malecon and La Rampa, lots of nightlife there!

But I was hooked on Centro... and every time I returned to the Vedado, I felt far and sort of lonely. In Centro, you walk the narrow streets and see friendly Cubans playing domino, who invite you to watch the championship game with them. I liked that.

The pic shows a tinajone in front of a house in Vedado. Tinajones are huge jars originally made by Catalan potters in the 16th century, to keep rain water, and food products. They come from Camagüey (well, I mean, that's where they started.)

• Written Mar 6, 2004

More Things to Do in Cuba (1)

Comments

alza

“Voyage Voyage!”