"Don't miss the local music!" Varanasi Things to Do Tip by BilboB

Varanasi Things to Do: 269 reviews and 463 photos

Varanasi is an art center as well as a holy city. Don?t miss seeing some music and dance while you?re there.

We wanted to hear some local music while we were visiting. Someone told us about a small music school down near the ghats that also arranged concerts. Almost by accident, we found it. The Sangita Music School. It was basically the home of the proprietor. When we asked if there were any concerts planned he said "just tell me what instruments you would like to hear and I'll arrange to have them here this evening".

We went back that night, sat in his tiny living room with he and his children sipping tea, and listened to world class Indian musicians (e.g. the tabla player had been playing tabla since he was 2 years old; his father was the sitar teacher of Ravi Shankar) for several hours. All for so few rupees that you wouldn't believe me if I told you.

Of all the wonderful things we did while in India, this surprise turned out to be the highlight by far. If you enjoy music, I would certainly keep an eye out for this wonderful place.

Address: SUR SANGITA
Directions: ADD CK 10\37 LALITA GHAT [CHOWCK]
VARANASI 221001

othercontact: Mobile Phone: 0091-9839147745
Phone: 0091-542-2328560

• Written Mar 5, 2004

Comments

BilboB

“Go where they aren't”

Ranked Member

Have you been to Varanasi?