P.F. Chang's China Bistro: "Upscale Chinese with Wine" Top 5 Page for this destination PF Changs Tip by grandmaR

PF Changs, Miami: 2 reviews and 1 photos

collage from car
by grandmaR

My daughter decided that we'd all go out to dinner at P.F. Changs. The problem was that it was so late and so crowded that we had to wait to be seated. And then it took us awhile to wade through the menu and decide what we wanted, and then we had to wait to be served. So it wasn't at all a fast meal and the kids (ages 2 and 8) got a bit antsy. Frankly so did I. My granddaughter spent time climbing on the pink columns (As soon as you approach the restaurant, you as you are greeted by two larger-than-life lions guarding the door.) outside while we were waiting.

Being quite naive, I did not realize that P.F. Changs was a chain or franchise. It apparently started in Scottsdale AZ when Paul Fleming, who started out as a Ruth's Chris Steak House franchisee couldn't find a good Chinese restaurant.

From an interview about Paul Fleming:
"One of the things that's different from a traditional Chinese restaurant is that 20% of our sales come from liquor, and 10% of that is wine. Paul offered about a 40-bottle wine list and everything was available by the glass. It really raised the bar, giving the restaurant kind of a steakhouse feel."

I felt it was quite expensive, although the bill for the 6 of us was only $103.69 including tax and tip. But my toddler granddaughter really can't be counted in the total.

Favorite Dish: I don't remember what I had, but from their menu

Chang's Recommends

(All entrées served with a choice of steamed brown or white rice)

CHANG' S SPICY CHICKEN
Lightly dusted and stir-fried in a sweet Sichuan sauce.
(Our version of General Chu's)
$10.95

* I may have had this as it is my favorite*

MOO GOO GAI PAN
P.F. Chang's version of the classic Cantonese dish with chicken and shrimp.

MONGOLIAN BEEF
Quickly cooked steak with scallions and garlic.
$11.95

ORANGE PEEL CHICKEN
Tossed with orange peel and chili peppers for a spicy/citrus combination.

CRISPY HONEY SHRIMP
Lightly battered and quick-fried with a flavorful sauce.
$12.95

CANTONESE SCALLOPS OR SHRIMP
Stir-fried with garlic, yellow chives and snow peas.
$12.25

CANTONESE ROASTED DUCK
Served with steamed wheat buns, cucumbers, scallions, plum and
hoisin sauces.
$12.95

GINGER CHICKEN WITH BROCCOLI
Served Cantonese-style on a bed of fresh steamed broccoli.
$10.75

MANGO CHICKEN
Stir-fried chicken with mangoes, onions, bean sprouts and carrots.

Address: 8888 SW 130th Street, Kendall, FL 33176
Price Comparison: more expensive than average
Directions: Located in The Falls Shopping Center on the corner of US 1 and SW 136th Street. Parking is sometimes difficult.
Phone: 305-234-2338
Price: US$21-30
Rating: 2
Theme: Chinese/Dim Sum
Website: http://www.pfchangs.com/index.jsp

• Written Mar 3, 2004

Comments

grandmaR

“"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”

Have you been to Miami?