"touchy-feely men" Rome Warnings Or Dangers Tip by fairy_dust

Rome Warnings and Dangers: 523 reviews and 232 photos

The locals in general are very warm and don't mind body contact with people (hugging, two-cheek kiss, etc), which is cool (it's a cultural thing), but some men try to take it a little too far. Some (but not all) men try to feel up young girls, especially in cramped places were people are packed together like sardines.

Funny story:
One time in the subway, a middle-aged Italian man tried to feel up a girl from another WYD group, and my chaperone noticed. My chaperone said (in a threatening voice) to the man "You keep your hands to yourself or I'm gonna punch you!" He got confused and she said "Yeah, I'm gonna punch you!" He asked her if she was the girl's mother, and she said "Yeah!" (even though it wasn't true, she was trying to protect the girl). Then she turned to a girl in our WYD group and said "Watch out for his hands". The girl thought that my chaperone meant that the man was a pickpocket, so she yelled to the entire subway car "We have a pickpocket here, watch out!" We all looked at the man, and some people were pointing and whispering. The man got embarassed and went to a different subway car on the next stop.

• Written Mar 1, 2004

Comments

fairy_dust

“Draco Dormiens Nunquam Tittilandus”

Have you been to Rome?