"Poas Volcano" Top 5 Page for this destination Volcan Poas Tip by BEETLE_VERTE

Volcan Poas, Costa Rica: 29 reviews and 35 photos

Poas volcano

On our last day, we couldn't leave without seeing inside a volcano. Our driver took us a little outside Alajuela to see the Poas volcano. Although I was this close to putting this experience in the Tourist Trap category (because it's really touristic, crowded and paved!), I'm enchanted and more than happy I made the trip.

A little walk will take you up on the volcano's edge to see this beautiful turquoise water in the crater of Poas, above the clouds. Magical! The terrain is rocky and dark, the lake is whimsical, the vegetation scattered to luxious, surrounding unbelievable!

You can take a walk to the Botos crater, a smaller one on the side of the volcano, or attend the museum and giftshop (expensive!) at the entrance.

Go early, as the top of the volcano clouds up quickly some day. If you missed it, wait a little bit as it often clears up in 5 minutes. Or come back later. When we arrived, there was nothing but a sea of clouds. It was quite impressive to see the crater appears before our eyes (and so close!) in a mater of seconds, as the clouds disappeared.

I have to admit, it's worth the trip!

About 6$ to get in. Bring your camera (raincoat if you think it's going to rain, not necessary to have walking shoes). More details and pictures in my travelogue on the alajuela page.

Address: Alajuela
Directions: 37km north of Alajuela
othercontact: vpoas1971@hotmail.com
Phone: 406-482-2424
Website: http://www.minae.go.cr/

• Updated Mar 22, 2006

“Mon pays ce n`est pas un pays, c`est l`hiver!”

Have you been to Costa Rica?