"Weekend road trip to Virginia Tech" Top 5 Page for this destination Virginia Favorite Tip by b1bob

Virginia General: 94 reviews and 136 photos

Worsham Field: Blacksburg, Virginia
by b1bob

Favorite thing: On 13-15 October 1995, I took a weekend road trip with Chris Bednar and Hunter Richardson down to Virginia Tech in Blacksburg in southwestern Virginia. Since George Mason University had no football team, I was perfectly free to root for Virginia Tech. Bob Harper had bought tickets for Chris and me to attend a lunch in front of Litton Reeves Hall (the agriculture building). Lunch consisted of barbecue, boneless chicken breast, and mixed vegetables. Besides food, there was live entertainment and door prizes. From there, Bob, Chris, and I walked over to Worsham Field. Before going through the gates, we stopped by several tailgate parties. Before sporting events, Americans hold private barbecues from the boot of their car, the tailgate of their station wagon or pickup truck. Some even brought expensive caravans and unfurled awnings for a makeshift porch. After we entered the stadium, I went to the gift shop and bought Javi a key chain with the Virginia Tech logo in the school colours (orange and crimson).

Fondest memory: The game against the Akron Zips (in the yellow and white with a kangaroo for a mascot) started out on the right foot- well, kind of. We made a 6-point touchdown, but missed the extra point. From my angle it looked like it was good. It was clear to me the referees were biased in favour of Akron to start with. At every touchdown, they fire a cannon to capture the attention of those who weren't paying attention or drunk. We made another touchdown, tried for and failed to get the 2-point conversion. We scored 5 more unanswered touchdowns with the extra point made making the score at halftime 47-0. I decided to make a run for the border. The cuisine de Taco Bell is passable, but for a glutton of my stature, lasts about maybe 2 minutes. By the fourth quarter, we had a frog strangler (a real strong rain). I have never been so wet due to Ma Nature since the time Luc and I were caught at King's Dominion when it came up a cloud. The rain caused Virginia Tech players to lose grip on the ball and cause the other team to score 27 points. However, we scored 30 in the second half. Our final score with 7 minutes and 46 seconds was 77-27. That is ironic because my telephone number was 746-7727 at that time.

On the way to Bob's blue Chevrolet truck, a gust of wind blew off the cap Bob gave me. As I reached for it before it blew to Roanoke, I slipped on the wet grass. Both feet came out from under me and I twisted my right knee (to this day, I still feel it during cold, damp days). I limped back to the truck with Bob, Chris, and K.B.

Review Helpfulness: 4 out of 5 stars

• Written Feb 28, 2004

b1bob Lives Here!

Have you been to Virginia?