"The Ultimate Trap" Top 5 Page for this destination Norway Tourist Trap Tip by Saagar
Norway Tourist Traps: 38 reviews and 25 photos
The Ultimate Tourist Trap is as many VT members have found out, the North Cape. There has been a lawsuit against the commericial operators of the North Cape - yes, it's very commercial - because you have to pay a ticket (expensive) to get out to the point. There is a law that grants free access to all public lands without hinderance and this is violated in the interest of commercialism here.
Here's another piece of insight: The North Cape is not the northern-most point of Europe! That honour goes to a neighbouring penninsula called Knivskjellodden, which will also be a much nicer experience. There's a trail out there, and it will be a true wilderness experience.
Unique Suggestions: Simply skip the North Cape and ask for directions to Knivskjellodden at the Honningsvåg tourist office or just about anyone local.
Fun Alternatives: Many penninsulas on the Finnmark coast are nearly look-a-likes of the Nort Cape, and ecologically and geologically they are about the same. For similar "northern feeling" experiences up north, go to any other point jutting out into the sea: Ingoy, Rolvsoy, Soroy and the penninsulas further east of North Cape, too.
More Reviews (155)
- See All Hurtigruten cruise in 5 minutes - save...
- See All Re what currency to bring to Norway
- See All Hiking on the cheap - base camp in Oslo
- See All In the heart of Jotunheimen
- See All Best chocolate in Norway:
- See All A guide to 445 Norwegian harbours
- See All Cheapest beer in Norway
- See All Drinking and alcohol in Norway
- See All Norwegian State Railways Oslo to Gjøvik
- See All Bring drinks!
- See All Tired of E6? Divert over...
- Nightlife, ship, hotel, restaurant and...
Saagar's Related Pages
Have you been to Norway?Share Your Travels