Cape Linne - Isfjord Radio: "A hotel on the fringe" Top 5 Page for this destination Svalbard Hotel Tip by Saagar
Svalbard Hotels: 24 reviews and 37 photos
Isfjord Radio - not a very good name for a hotel. But it is not a usual hotel either, it is indeed a closed-down radio relay station. It has been made redundant by fiberoptic cable to the mainland and satellite communication. All the buildings remain and some have been changed from a technical working place into a good hotel.
Stayed two nights here, full pension. Great place, great service. This was a few years ago.
Since 2008 the hotel as a part of Basecamp Spitsbergen's operations, and open in concjunction with their organised trips winter and summer and during the main seasons. You can book through Basecamp Explorer or Svalbard Reiseliv's booking pages. Staying there involves an expensive travel to get there, either by snowmobile, ship, helicopter dogsled or two-three days by skis or foot. Expect NOK 7500,- NOK for 2 nights...
Unique Qualities: A real Arctic outpost.
An Arctic bird preserve nearby.
Boating possibilities with a guide.
Calving glacier across the Ice Fjord.
Polar bears on the prowl.
Good food and good stores being told over the drift-wood made bar desk.
Check theri program on http://www.basecampexplorer.no/svalbard/NYHET_-_ISFJORD_RADIO_KAPP_LINNE/Turer_til_Isfjord_Radio_pa_Kapp_Linne_/111216/en
Address: Cape Linne, at the mouth of the Isfjord, West Spitsbergen
Price Comparison: most expensive
Directions: Take a charter boat (or helicopter $$$$) from Longyearbyen, or by ski-doo, or hike (3 days) or ski (2 days) from Longyearbyen. The best option is probably joining the group in a chartered boat, either direct or via Barentsburg.
Price: US$180 and up
Website: http://www.spitsbergentravel.no www.basecampexplorer.no
More Reviews (130)
- See All Shopping for maps of Svalbard
- See All The Pub I never got into
- See All Packing for a weekend on Svalbard
- See All Things to do during a Svalbard weekend
- See All Svalbard Airport Longyear - LYR: latest...
- See All Organisations, business, culture on...
- See All Carrying guns while shopping - bad taste
- See All Football on Svalbard
- See All Gun rental for polar bear protection
- See All Compulsory insurance off the beaten path
- See All Tourist map of Spitzbergen and the...
- See All A drink in the snow
Saagar's Related Pages
Have you been to Svalbard?Share Your Travels