"San Francisco, my city by the bay" SAN FRANCISCO Tip by Andraf

SAN FRANCISCO, California: 51 reviews and 53 photos

San Francisco, California
by Andraf

San Francisco, the beautiful city of Northern California has been my home for the last four years. Ever since I moved here, I've had numerous friends suddenly decide to drop in for a conference or vacation. I've probably walked Golden Gate Bridge 30 times already and I'm rapidly improving in my role as amateur tour-guide :-) My tour of the city is, of course, highly influenced by my likes and dislikes. In my opinion some San Francisco "attractions" (as they are defined by most travel guides) are overrated and definite tourist traps (I'll include Fisherman's Wharf and Ghirardelli square here - although if you're in the market for kitschy souvenirs and trinkets, this is your best bet). Some attractions I really like, for example the Golden Gate Bridge, Alcatraz, the sea lions at Pier 39 and the cable cars. But in my opinion what makes this city one of the most beautiful cities in the world is the landscape. The steep streets, the ocean, the bay, the rolling fog. Because San Francisco is located between the bay and the Pacific Ocean it has almost an awesome view from everywhere. Ah, and there is the fog. Lots of it, especially in the summer. If you don?t mind the cold, the fog means lots of great photo opportunities.

Any time of year is a good time to visit San Francisco. But if you want the best weather I think late September and October are the best months here.

• Updated Jul 8, 2004

Andraf Used To Live Here!

“"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to move." R.L. Stevenson”

Have you been to California?