"Environmentalists? Maybe Yes, Maybe No." United States of America Local Custom Tip by mcpangie

United States of America Local Customs: 260 reviews and 260 photos

A Pair of Mallard Ducks
by mcpangie

One value that I hold is a love for the environment, and a desire to protect it from the growing population in our country. Yet, I grew up in rural area of Alaska hunting and fishing. This means, just like many Americans, even though I want to protect the environment, I grew up in a culture that hunts down and shoots the animals we want to protect! What a contradiction, yet it is common in America.

In the United States, Ducks Unlimited is a leader in wetlands conservation. Though the organization focuses on wetlands conservation, it seems that is because the members are often water fowlers who want to ensure they have prey to hunt. The first and last time I tasted duck, I discovered that there is no need for me to learn to hunt ducks. I personally prefer to see the mallard drake in artwork, that can also be purchased from Ducks Unlimited.

This picture was taken at the fish hatchery at the Bonneville Dam near Cascade Locks, Oregon.

• Updated Feb 26, 2004

Comments

mcpangie

“Have Suitcase, Will Travel”

Have you been to United States of America?