"Captighlnya: how to make a smoked fish" Top 5 Page for this destination Russia Local Custom Tip by darthmilmo
Russia Local Customs: 157 reviews and 197 photos
After lunch, Alexi and I set up the captighlnya to smoke up the fish I caught. This device is quite interesting. If you were to look at it casually from a distance, you would have thought it was an outhouse; however, it is not one at all! The captighlnya lies in a man made mount. On the bottom there is a fire to keep the smoke going. The smoke is then funneled through a pipe up through the outhouse looking device. In order to keep the smoke inside the hut, the opening on one side is closed with a canvas screen. Before closing the screen, you place the fish, spread out; in a net like layer that receives the smoke. You have to keep a close eye not to over cook or under cook it though. Once done, you can enjoy the fish or save it for another day. Oh, do remember to add salt to the fish before putting it in the captighlnya.
More Reviews (77)
- See All Money
- See All Fishing
- Dictionary and Phrasebook (both)
- See All You'll bound to shope at a Magazin
- See All Hydrofoil in Lake Baikal
- See All Departure day: Check-in and Passport...
- Inflated Tourist Prices
- TUNGUSKA: A Journey into Siberia's...
- See All Sunset at Lake Teletskoe
- See All Largest Hotel in Europe
- See All Shchashchikla (meat on a stick)
- See All South Lake Baikal and Irkutsk
darthmilmo's Related Pages
Have you been to Russia?Share Your Travels