"Fishing in BC" Vancouver Things to Do Tip by AnglerBob

Vancouver Things to Do: 1,299 reviews and 2,299 photos

Hello, Dolly
by AnglerBob

It was a tough decision: my wife and I decided to go our separate ways for the day so she could shop and I could fish! But where? Realizing that I had no gear, no 4-wheel drive car, and no boat, I did something I don't usually do: hire a guide.

I paid a visit to Anglers West Fly and Tackle on West Broadway. Real nice guys, they described the local fishing scene candidly and completely. I had a chance to catch steelhead or Dolly Varden trout, neither of which I'd caught before and the latter a true rarity in the States (although once plentiful in the West).

On very short notice, they set me up with guide Andrew Redmond, who picked me up at my hotel precisely on time. He seemed pretty young to be doing this but as we drove to our destination it became apparent he was no stranger to the BC wilderness.

We fished a remote river whose location I'd rather not disclose as it's a pristine and delicate fishery; besides, I couldn't find it agin to save my life. Ask Andrew to take you there:) It was a good 1.5 hours from Vancouver and involved some gravel-road driving and a small section of 4-wheel drive road.

The trip paid off, as you can see from this beautiful, 3-lb Dolly Varden trout. These fish resemble a cross between rainbows and lake trout with silver sides fading to a nice olive green color. The fish was caught on a barbless spoon and released unharmed back into the river.

Address: Anglers West, 433 West Broadway, Vancouver, BC
Directions: 1/2 bl E of Cambie
Phone: 1-866-6004665

• Updated Apr 4, 2011

More Things to Do in Vancouver (1)

Comments

AnglerBob

“"Where's the best place to eat...?"”

Ranked Member

Have you been to Vancouver?