"A Moving Tribute to World War II" Top 5 Page for this destination Hawaii (State of) Things to Do Tip by deecat

Hawaii (State of) Things to Do: 560 reviews and 843 photos

Uss Arizona Memorial
by deecat

The main reason we visited Honolulu was so that I could see Pearl Harbor and the USS Arizona Memorial.

You see, my father was in the Navy in World War II, a gunner on a destroyer. He talked about Pearl Harbor as I was growing up, and it's been engrained in my "mind's eye" for all these years. I just was determined to see it and give my personal tribute to that horrible day in US history.

The USS Arizona Memorial is a national monument and shine that symbolizes American sacrifice as well as American resolve.

Allan and I took a wonderful tour with three other couples in a van that immersed us in the culture, music, and history of December 7, 1941. We ate at the Officer's Quarters; we toured the cemetery; we also toured all the other places that were attacked by Japanese planes on that fateful day.

But, the ultimate emotional moment came when I stepped on that seemingly floating monument, saw the names of those who died, and saw veterans throwing wreaths of flowers into the water. I was overcome with sadness. I am so glad that I was able to experience it.

Open daily:
7:30am-5pm
Cosed:
Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years Day
Free (1st come, first served)
Come early

Address: 1 Arizona Place, Pearl Harbor HI 96818
Directions: Just off Hwy 99 (Kamehameha Hwy)
45 miles west of Waikiki.

• Updated Jun 4, 2005

Comments

deecat

Have you been to Hawaii (State of)?