"Kalighat Temple, Kolkata" Top 5 Page for this destination India Warnings Or Dangers Tip by Canadienne

India Warnings and Dangers: 260 reviews and 173 photos

Kalighat Temple, Kolkata
by Canadienne

The Kalighat Temple is one of the more-visited sites in Kolkata, but there's a very smooth operation underway for tourists. As soon as you arrive anywhere near the temple, you are whisked in through one of the entries and met by a priest (I knew something was up as soon as I tried to explore the outside lanes before entering ~ everyone seemed very disgruntled), who will take you on a "tour" of the temple.

Obviously, anyone who offers assistance like this will expect a tip/donation at the end, and I typically have no argument with compensating for this type of service. However, when you reach the final stage of the Kalighat Temple tour, you'll be shown a book of signatures with donation amounts written next to each name and country (in strangely dissimilar handwriting). The amounts began at 1000 rupees and moved upwards. . .I was browbeaten to give more than I offered. I stood firm, signed the book and wrote in 100 rupees, but I'm certain that has since been adjusted.

The temple is interesting, but this experience ruined the visit for me. . .I've had many pleasant tours of temples, without the same kind of aggressive sham at the end.

• Written Feb 21, 2004