"Do not take Virtu Ferries!" Catania Transportation Tip by 78Eva

Catania Transportation: 25 reviews and 22 photos

The ferry from hell
by 78Eva

We had the absolute worst luck with Virtu ferries. We were on a two week stay in Malta, and wanted to visit a friend in Catania, Sicily, for a few days. We booked Virtu Ferries who go to Sicily about twice a week. However:
1.They are very expensive.
2. The ship left at an impossible time in the morning, something like 4 or 5 in the morning from Valetta. Quite difficult to be at the harbour at that hour since no buses are going! We slept in a B&B relatively close to the harbour, which was very hard to find, we were lucky to be given the last room, and left in the very early morning walking to the ship and dragging our luggage. Ugh!
3. the ship gets to Sicily in about three hours. It is a very bumpy ride and almost everyone, except for me and my friend, got seasick. Everyone! When my friend got up to go to the bathroom, he returned quickly determined not to use it since there was vomit everywhere.
4. The worst thing: After a few nice days in Sicily, we go to Pozzallo to catch the ship back to Malta when we are suddenly told the ferry won't be going!!! The next one will only leave in a few days. They really just leave you standing like that and don't care. The bad thing was that we had to catch a plane back to Morocco the day after so we REALLY had to get back to Malta. We were in a panic. There was nthing left to do but book a one way flight to Malta, and we were lucky we still got seats! So we got back, but at our own costs, i.e. a night at a hotel in Sicily and the additional plane ride. Virtu Ferries were supposed to at least give us back the money for the ferry ride that did not take place, but no!
We never got an answer from them although we contacted them several times. Completely unreliable, a rip-off and rude, too.
Best to book a flight with Air Malta in the first place!

Mode: TO
othercontact: http://www.airmalta.com/
Type: Ship/Boat
Website: http://www.virtuferries.com/

• Written Feb 20, 2004

“I believe in such cartography (...)All I desired was to walk upon such an earth that had no maps (Ondaatje)”

Have you been to Catania?