VirtualTourist.com will close on Feb 27th.

"Jack London Square" Parks / Squares Tip by cvilla007

Parks / Squares, Oakland: 10 reviews and 25 photos

Overlooking Kayaks
by cvilla007

Okay, I used to think that Jack London Square was touristy. That was before I lived in Oakland. Now that I don't live in Oakland, I miss it. I miss the square. The cool Barnes & Noble, drinking my coffee on the veranda overlooking the square & the sailboats, the trains constantly roaring behind me.

On Sunday there is an open Farmer's Market. Live music almost every weekend.

You probably couldn't spend a whole day there, but there's always cool stuff to see at the square. Here are my favorites:

* The Cinema - nice theatre, stadium seating
* Yoshii's Sushi & Jazz - a great sushi restaurant & probably the premier Jazz venue in the greater SF area.
* Kincaid's Seafood - it's a chain restaurant, but one of the best seafood restaurants I've been too.
* Jack's Bistro - haven't eaten there, but there's a really nice cafe & there is live music now & then. Saw a great Latin Jazz act there on a Friday night.
* Barnes & Noble - miss hanging out at the cafe.
* Heinold's First & Last Chance - this is one of the smallest bars and the floor is tilted, so either way you're walking drunk. Jack London used to drink here, this place is that old.

Directions: Go south on Broadway until you see it.
Website: http://www.jacklondonsquare.com/

• Updated Feb 18, 2004

More Things to Do in Oakland (1)

Comments

cvilla007

“Are we there yet.. there yet? Huh? Huh? Huh?”

Have you been to Oakland?