Prego at the Westin: "Authentic Italian Cuisine" Kuala Lumpur Restaurant Tip by janettay

Kuala Lumpur Restaurants: 977 reviews and 1,623 photos

There are 3 types of tables to choose from; you may dine al fresco (especially if it's not too humid), downstairs near the open kitchen (if you aren't opposed to leaving the restaurant with your clothes smelling of food) and upstairs, by the windows with a view of the bright lights and city streets. We were shown to a table in the upstairs in the middle but I requested for a change to the table by the window. .My request was graciously granted and our waiter came shortly with the menus.The dishes on the menu look authentic Italian,which you may think is always a given but not always so in KL.We ordered starters of boiled egg on a bed of mashed potatoes,with sprinkles of truffles, and foie gras and pesto terrine.Both starters,pretty excellent.The boiled egg dish was subtle but exquisite.Next,our main courses were lamb loin and duck breast.I had the lamb which was pretty ordinary (I should've ordered something more "Italian"). The duck,cooked medium well,according to my companion was pleasant and very palatable indeed.Be warned,as most with gourmet restaurants, the servings are pretty small.So we found room to order dessert (pistachio ice-cream) as well as cappuccinos.The cappuccinos were all right,not the best but certainly much better than most restaurants in KL.I neglected to mention the bread,and this is important, I feel, when reviewing a restaurant.Many restaurants despite their reputation still see it fit to serve their unfortunate patrons near-stale bread which shows their lack of attention to detail nor appreciation for the people who eat their food.Prego served fresh, warm bread together with olive oil and vinegar.Simple,yet fulfilling.
Service was excellent;we had an attentive waiter who was friendly as well as able to recommend the lamb when I could not decide between that or the veal.
All in all, quite a wonderful experience if you can afford it!

Favorite Dish: We only went there once so I can't really say if I have a favourite dish yet. I will definitely go back, though. The pasta looked good (risotto, always a risky bet, was on the menu and you can be sure that'll be the subject of my review next) and probably worth ordering.I think the dessert menu was a little less exciting but for tiramisu fans out there,they have that with mascarpone sauce.

Address: The Westin Kuala Lumpur, Jalan Bukit Bintang
Price Comparison: more expensive than average
Directions: Next to J.W. Marriott Hotel
Phone: (60)(3) 2731 8333
Price: US$21-30
Rating: 4
Theme: Italian

• Written Feb 14, 2004

“Enjoy yourself!”

Ranked Member

Have you been to Kuala Lumpur?