"Another Palin Moment" Tangier Things to Do Tip by freya_heaven

Tangier Things to Do: 147 reviews and 217 photos

Michael Palin, Mustapha and his wife
by freya_heaven

Anyone who saw Michael Palins latest travel series "Sahara" will no doubt remember this tip.

We walked up to St Andrews church, which was featured in the first episode of Sahara.

As we were walking through the Church yard we saw the back of a man locking up the church door. Derek was saying "its him", I was saying "its not him". By the time we had finished the man was walking towards us with a big grin offering to give us a tour of the church, IT WAS HIM..................

It was Mustapha Cherqui, or otherwise known as "Mr Thankyou very much". Within the first sentence we heard those famous words "thank you very much", it was confirmed it was indeed the man who Michael Palin had met.

He gave us a tour of the church, bell tower,we were even allowed to ring the church bells! As well as showing us through the Vicars private rooms & draws! And to round it off gave me a bunch of flowers which were displayed near the altar.

I told him how famous he now was in Britain, and he said that Mr Palin had kept intouch for a while once he had returned home.

Mustapha is such a great character & Pleasent chap, Visit him if you are ever in Tangier, he would be chuffed I'm sure.

Rue d' Angleterre

Just south of the Grand Socco

• Updated Jan 13, 2005

Have you been to Tangier?