VirtualTourist.com will close on Feb 27th.

"Moth colony" Top 5 Page for this destination Australia Off The Beaten Path Tip by darthmilmo

Australia Off The Beaten Path: 423 reviews and 697 photos

Moth colony
by darthmilmo

Hiking through dense vegetation through a creek at Hinchinbrook IS, I stopped after a while as in front of a huge colony of small moths. There were thousands of them covering the vegetation, the rocks, and more. I remember coming up to this large boulder (probably 4 meter tall and 10 meter wide) covered by hundreds or thousands of them. I also remember them hanging to tree branches. At one point, a tree was literally touching the ground, but when I approached it the moths got scared and flew away. Next thing I new, I the tree went right up to its normal high position. It was amazing to see so many moths fly at ones. I felt I was part of a National Geographic documentary or something. I had never seen anything like that in my life. I continued on past the thousands of moths (and I do mean thousands) up the creek.

• Written Feb 9, 2004

Comments

darthmilmo

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”

Have you been to Australia?