"Cape Tribulation" Top 5 Page for this destination Australia Things to Do Tip by darthmilmo

Australia Things to Do: 1,336 reviews and 2,265 photos

Cape Tribulation
by darthmilmo

I took a tour to Cape Tribulation, a town located in the Daintree Forest National Park up north. This park is home to one of the oldest rain forests on Earth. It is also where the jungle meets the Great Barrier Reef.

A must do while in the park is a river cruise of the Daintree River. It is a very interesting river. It counts with over 28 species of mangrove trees. The Mangrove trees develop out of a need for them to adapt and be able to take in salt water, but some of them do live in fresh water. During the cruise, we saw 2 small saltys (salt water crocs) in the wild.

Our next stop was at the Maardja Boardwalk, were we walked through the dense tropical rain forest. We got to see an interesting strangling fig tree.

After arriving at Cape Trib, I walked down the beach to the cape, where I went to the lookout that offered an incredible view. I then crossed the cape and headed further south across Myall Beach. I crossed Mason Ck in low tide, which looked to me like a safe heaven for crocs. I then continued on until I reached Myall Ck, where I used the swing. I didn't cross this creek though. Instead, I headed inland thru a trail ending opposite to the only shop in town. After reaching the store, I headed to the nearby swimming hole, which was a relief to the hot humid day :).

I awoke to the sounds of the jungle early on the next morning. As it was a clear day, I decided to hike to the top of Mt. Sorrow. Captain Cook, the great British explorer who was the first British to conquer Australia had an accident near here when one of his boats crashed against the one of the reefs in the Great Barrier Reef. For this reason, many of the mountains and peaks in the area have a little bit of misery in their names. Ironic since Cape Trib is in a beautiful jungle that at points touches the Great Barrier Reef. The hike to Mt. Sorrow wasn't as easy I thought. I was a bit sick (congested) so it took me about 5 hours return.

• Written Feb 8, 2004

Comments

darthmilmo

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”

Have you been to Australia?