"Diving the Great Barrier Reef of Townsville-Part 2" Top 5 Page for this destination Australia Things to Do Tip by darthmilmo

Australia Things to Do: 1,336 reviews and 2,265 photos

Discove the true Nemo!
by darthmilmo

We awoke up the following day at Davis Reef. The 1st dive was at the 1 Boy and 3 Girls site (named as such since one of the four bommies looks like a man's piece). We spotted a lion fish (one of the most poisonous fish out there) resting below the corral protection.
The second dive was equally amazing. We saw a yellow spotted box fish, a puffer fish, a nudibranch, a giant hermit crab, a parrot fish, and several nice schools of fish. Later that afternoon, the boat shifted to the other side of Davis Reef, where we got to dive our last two dives at the Corral Garden. For the third dive, I joined Nathan the kiwi instructor. We spotted several corral gardens surrounding the giant corral bommie. It was a fun dive. We went right around the bommie's backside through a passage. We dived through a narrow cave were we had to rub our elbows to go thru. At the end, we cut through a middle passage, where we swam past the corral garden and back to the boat. The night dive today was my best night dive ever! We swam around the bommie and then back through the middle passage Nathan had shown me on the other dive. We saw tons of sea life as well. As if from another world, we saw two beautiful black juvenile (young) long-finned batfish which swam in an awkward position to resemble a deadly predator. Once this fish grows old, it will shed away the black color and take a whiter light grey color. We also saw a small scale scorpion fish lying in the open reef. I then saw Uri waving his flashlight at us from the distance. Swimming to the light, I saw the reason: a giant sea turtle just chilling at the bottom of the ocean floor. Among the crustaceans we saw, we spotted tons of shrimp, crayfish, and a large lobster. On the way back to the boat, at the Corral Garden, we saw a huge 40 cm squid.

• Written Feb 8, 2004

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”

Have you been to Australia?