"Magnetic Island" Top 5 Page for this destination Australia Things to Do Tip by darthmilmo

Australia Things to Do: 1,336 reviews and 2,265 photos

WW2 Fort at Magnetic Island
by darthmilmo

I was traveling north to Cairns when I arrived to Townsville. I had plenty of time to kill, so I hopped on the short ferry that took me to Magnetic Island.

The following day, I went on an all day hike around the island. Magnetic Island may not offer the most beautiful beaches, but it does offer some interesting hikes. I hiked part of the trail from Arcadia to Nelly beach. It was a nice uphill battle, which included two lookouts. The first one, called the Sphinx lookout had a marvelous view of Geoffrey Bay. Alma Bay Lookout had a gorgeous view of the bay with the same name. Walking further on, I sighted my first clear view of a wild Koala. It was a cute little one resting on the intersection of two branches in a Eucalyptus tree. I then walked downhill for a bit through paved road to join the Arcadia to Horseshoe Bay trail. It was hot as hell today so I nearly melted going up the hill on this trail. I eventually made it to the start of the Forts Walk trail. This trail ends at the premises of a World War II fort that was used to keep an eye for Japanese vessels that could have wonder into the Townsville vicinity (mainland Australia). It was a fascinating complex. Although no guns or ammunition remains, you can still see where the guns where placed, the foundations of the barracks and kitchen, the command post, and a lookout post. Both of this posts offer amazing views of the whole island as they lie on top of one of the highest hills. Now in day you can clearly see this posts, however, back during the war they were camouflaged so that the enemy couldn't spot them. The return hike back to Arcadia was a bit more pleasant as the mind-day heat decreased and as the path was mostly downhill.

I relaxed the following day, not doing much at all. After all, that?s one of the attractions of this island. I did ventured into Alma Bay, but the beach is not as beautiful as I had seen the day before from above.

• Written Feb 8, 2004

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”

Have you been to Australia?