"The Town of 1770 and Agnes Water" Top 5 Page for this destination Australia Things to Do Tip by darthmilmo

Australia Things to Do: 1,336 reviews and 2,265 photos

Walking at the beach of the Town of 1770
by darthmilmo

I was fortunate enough to visit the beautiful town of Agnes Water, which is near the more impressive Town of 1770. These twin towns are a new and upcoming destination in the travel arena on the East Coast. They?ve grown in popularity recently due to its proximity to many of the beautiful Islands located at the southern end of the Great Barrier Reef. It's also the last surf beach in Queensland as you head north into the Great Barrier Reef.

The first day, I walked on the Agnes Waters Beach, with its towering rocks to the south. I climbed the rocks and returned via a trail. I saw a pair of kukabarras (native Australian bird), a few cockatoos, a huge spider, and my first goanna (monitor lizard that can grow between 1 to 2 meters; it is a distant relative of the Komodo dragon) in the wild.

The next day, I took the Cool Bananas hostel shuttle up to the Town of 1770, which is just 6 miles down the road. I checked out the overlook at Joseph Banks Conservation Park as I climbed the rocks at the end of the peninsula. I walked back to the Town of 1770 via the Bustand Bay coast, which is the place were Capt Cook first touch Australian land in 1770 as he fixed his ships. Hence the name of the town: ?Town of 1770.? I had lunch at a pub in town before continuing on my walk. I walked back to the hostel via the Beach on the other side of the peninsula. This walk ended up right where I started yesterday in Agnes Waters. I saw some interesting snails that time. I even saw a sea snake, which is a very unique creature with a flat segment at its end for steering. The sea snakes are extremely venomous. When I first approached it, I noticed it was bleeding quite a bit so I thought it was dead. I moved it a bit with my sandal, but this only startled as I saw it was alive... ***! Lucky for me, it just went up like a cobra trained by a Hindu. It did so for a minute as it complain and scared me off. I quickly escape after taking a pic of the snake though :).

• Written Feb 8, 2004

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”

Have you been to Australia?