"Lady Musgrave" Top 5 Page for this destination Australia Things to Do Tip by darthmilmo

Australia Things to Do: 1,336 reviews and 2,265 photos

Walking down the beach at Lady Musgrave
by darthmilmo

I visited Lady Musgrave Is (LMI) during my trip to the southern part of the Great Barrier Reef on board the Venus II vessel.

I first saw the island as we dove at Manta Ray Boomie, which is located off LMI. I saw a giant clam that dive. The conditions were a bit severe with a current, but in the end we saw two huge Manta Rays floating in the water.

The second dive was at the calmer Coral Canyons (near the island), were we got to see, among other things, corral :). I also saw a spectacular lion fish. I went snorkeling after this dive. I got to see 3 unicorn fish as well as several schools of exotic fish.

Our third dive was at the entrance to LMI?s lagoon. Most of this dive was a drift dive, meaning we let the current push us through the entrance to the LMI lagoon. This is one of the largest lagoons on Earth. It is protected by a wall of living corral. The current got to about 4 knots so we were diving fast into the lagoon. We even spotted a turtle that just swam quickly in the current. We then enjoyed looking at corral until our air supply was running out. It was in this corral that Sandra and I caught an eye of a huge Potato Cod, which must have been about 1.5 meters in length (that's the size of a short person)!

After this dive, we walked around and through LMI. This tropical paradise was formed by corral that rose off the sea. We saw plenty of White Caped Noddy Terus birds, which make it a home on the island. Camping is allowed here for those wishing to stay a few days a la Robinson Crusoe, but be warned the smell of the birds may be unbearable at times :).

Our last dive of the day was a night dive at camp site. It was a lovely night dive. I managed to dive really close to a sleeping eagle ray. It was an awesome site. I stayed there floating and looking at the ray for what seemed forever :). We saw tons of sea urchins, sea cucumbers, crabs, corral, and sleeping fish.

• Written Feb 8, 2004

Comments

darthmilmo

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”

Have you been to Australia?