"Coolala Wilderness Trail" Top 5 Page for this destination Australia Things to Do Tip by darthmilmo

Australia Things to Do: 1,336 reviews and 2,265 photos

Swamp crossing at the Coolala Wilderness Trail
by darthmilmo

I started the Coolala Wilderness Trail trek the following morning. This is the most interesting way to go from Rainbow Beach to Noosa. For starters, I took a ride on one of the Everglade Boat tours that take tourists into the park for the day. They dropped me off at the ranger station at Kinaba, which to my dismay was closed. Therefore, I had to backtrack to the main Ranger office at Elanda point. That was the official start to the trek. I spent three days walking this trek. It has the distinction of covering two distinctive ecosystems: the tropical rainforest and the heather land temperate dry forest. Both are equally amazing in their own rights. The campgrounds were beautiful as well. I stayed at Fig Tree point for the first evening. The second evening was at Wandi waterhole, which makes for a good spot to swim. The third and last evening was at Neebs waterhole, which unfortunately has too much vegetation for someone to swim in it.

Nature lovers may want to keep their eyes open. Among the highlights of the trail are large wild brown kangaroos in the fields around Elanda point.

The trail is mostly flat and easy going. However, there are a series of river crossings and swamp crossings so sandals are essential!

The trail ends at Mullen's Car Park. As someone had warned me in Noosa, there was no "Congratulations" sign. Alas, the scenery and adventure earned on this trip was enough a reward as any in and on itself. I walked down the road for another 1km (making the total to 10km for today) before a kind soul picked me up and gave me a lift to Rainbow beach. Be careful as there are no pick-up services at this end of the trail!

I will eventually have a page with more details so if you have further questions either consult that or send me an email.

Directions: North of Noosa.

• Written Feb 8, 2004

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”

Have you been to Australia?