"Brisbane" Top 5 Page for this destination Australia Things to Do Tip by darthmilmo

Australia Things to Do: 1,336 reviews and 2,265 photos

by darthmilmo

I?m not sure what it is about Brisbane, but to me it is my favorite city in Australia. If I were to live in Australia it would probably be here. It is centrally located within hours of all of the attractions that make Australia famous: the Gold Coast, the Sunshine Coast, the Great Barrier Reef, Frasier Island, and more. That?s not even counting the beautiful islands in Moreton Bay. I was even lucky enough to visit Brisbane during the interesting EKKA exhibition, which is a stock show.

One of the days I had in Brisbane, I visited the Botanical Garden. I relaxed, read, and wrote my journal at this pleasant park. I took a free tour of the Government House and then had lunch at a cafe nearby. I then walked along the mangrove boardwalk on the river side of the garden. I left the garden and crossed the river at the Goodwill Pedestrian Bridge. At the other end starts the South Bank Parkland, this was the site of the 1988 World Fair. The arch path across the many stores and cafes are covered with beautiful flowers. There is an interesting tropical forest walk that ends up right on a beautiful Nepalese Pagoda.

Joss had recommended me a self walking tour he did and so I went ahead and tried it the next day. I walked around the city. My first stop was at the impressive Cathedral. I then took an alleyway across to the main Post office. Right next to it lays an impressive and towering Gothic style building. Nearby, the walk took me across Brisbane's Central Business District, which is full of skyscrapers. I ended up in China town, where as usually I enjoyed a delicious meal.

• Written Feb 8, 2004

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”

Have you been to Australia?