"Etnografiska museet" Top 5 Page for this destination Etnografiska Museet - Museum of Ethnography Tip by sim1

Etnografiska museet

Etnografiska museet
      Brass rooster, 18th century
      Hip ornament, Benin, from the Etnografiska Museum
      Palace guard with shield, early 17th century
      Totempole
    by sim1

The Etnografiska museet (Museum of Ethnography) is located next to the Tekniska Museet (Museum of Science and Technology) and the Sjöhistoriska museet (National Maritime Museum). This museum seems to be the smallest of the three, but there is enough to see here to keep you busy for at least an hour or probably much more. The museum has collections from Asia, Africa, Australia, Oceania, America, and Greenland. What you will find here is lots about the folklore, beliefs and practices of different cultures around the world. Most of the objects in the museum date back to the 19th and 20th century and the focus is mainly on Africa and the original inhabitants of North America (during my visit).

I have to admit that I have a bit of a mixed feeling about this museum. I think the part that bothered me the most was the lack of light in the museum. Some areas were so dark that it was hard to see the objects that were on display, let alone to read the signs beside them telling what it was about. I also lost the 'logic' in the museum from time to time, being among the indians one minute and only a few metres on I was back in Africa, loosing the sense what the chronicle order and relevance between the displays was. BUT at the same time I have to admit that there were some really nice parts of the museum that I enjoyed very much! I think the part that I liked most were a little corner about Teotihuacán and the more extensive exposition about Benin.

A nice thing about the museum is that they have their own restaurant focussing on food of different cultures around the world. I'll tell you a bit more about that in my restaurant tip.

Opening hours
Tuesday, Thursday and Friday: 10:00 - 17:00
Wednesday: 10:00 - 20:00
Saturday and Sunday 11:00-17:00
Closed on Monday

Entrance fee
60 SEK for adults and <20 year: free

More detailed information and more impressions about the Museum of Ethnography and its surrounding area on my Djurgårdsbrunn page

Address: Djurgårdsbrunnsvägen 34
Directions: Enjoy a walk along the waterside Djurgårdsbrunnsviken until you come to the Etnografiska museet or take bus 69 from "Centralen" to busstop "Museivägen".
othercontact: info@etnografiska.se
Phone: 08-519 550 00
Website: http://www.etnografiska.se

• Updated Nov 11, 2007

Comments

sim1 Visits Here Frequently!

sim1

“Forever smiling :-)”

Have you been to Stockholm?