"Port Lockroy (UK)" Top 5 Page for this destination Antarctica Things to Do Tip by Sharrie

Antarctica Things to Do: 527 reviews and 1,073 photos

Post office at Port Lockroy!
by Sharrie

I can't believe it! As Russ was talking away, almost the entire ship has gone ashore on Port Lockroy if not on their way returning to Explorer II.

Geez, look... all those red parkas!
Yep, each of us was given one for free, to take home as souvenir. Not bad eh?

Ok, back to PORT LOCKROY. It's a British base & this is where all your postcards were sent from. Why do you think I was in such a rush? Gotta go to the post office! Post office... such a funny question I had b4 arriving here.

Firstly, u know I didn't have time to read up on & do research b4 heading this way. So, I've no idea about the Antarctic Treaty & all...

As usual, friends on VT asked for postcards. It's becoming a habit for me to send anyway. But Antarctica? Well, it doesn't belong to any country, does it?

So, my question was where am I gonna find stamps if there's no jurisdiction & you need a country to issue stamps, don't u?
Well, what post office & which one?

Finally, on board the ship, we were told we could post it from Port Lockroy, which is basically British. In other words, your postcards will all have to go enroute to UK b4 heading your way. Crazy, don't u think? & I was told some people only got it after 1 year!!! Forget about DHL or Fedex. They don't exist in this part of the world! Ships... yep, ships carry those postcards back! OMG!

Luckily for me, I just bought some stamps for myself & did a self-service postal service. I've got mine already & I carried it back home myself. As for the rest of you, all I can say is, gooooooooood luck!!! ;-)

Review Helpfulness: 4 out of 5 stars

• Updated Feb 12, 2004

Comments

Sharrie

“Feed that hunger, hike that mountain!”

Have you been to Antarctica?