"Art Gallery of New South Wales" Art Gallery of New South Wales Tip by aussiedoug

Art Gallery of New South Wales, Sydney: 15 reviews and 21 photos

Front Entrance to the Art Gallery of N.S.W.
by aussiedoug

If you are interested in Art at all then you really should visit our state's Gallery.

There is free admission to the general areas of the gallery, but of course special exhbitions do have an entry fee. We were lucky enough to see Caravaggio- Lightness & Dark, earlier this year.

Presently you can view the entrants to the Wynn, Sulieman & Archibald Prizes. There is a really interesting selection in each of these categories. My favourite in the Archibald (portraits) is the painting of the enigmatic Aboriginal Actor David Gulpilil, he is a genuinely fascinating individual & this painting just gives you a little inkling of this.

Now that leads me neatly into the next main exhibition that will be held in the gallery. Clifford Possum Tjapaltarri is an exhbition initiated by the Art Gallery of South Australia & we visited the gallery there while in Adelaide for the World Cup Rugby. It runs from May 14 to July 11 & you will find it in the Rudy Kumon Gallery on the Upper Level of our gallery. Admission is $4 for members (of the Art Gallery Society of N.S.W. - I am a member) & $6 for non members. If you happen to be in Sydney during this time I would be happy to accompany you on a visit to this exhibition. I believe it is a really worthwhile exhibition to see.

Address: Gallery Road, The Domain
Phone: 2 9225 1744
Website: http://www.artgallery.nsw.gov.au

• Updated Apr 26, 2004

aussiedoug Lives Here!

“"We must become the change we want to see." - Mahatma Gandhi”

Have you been to Sydney?