"The Roman Forum" Roman Forum Tip by Paul2001

Roman Forum, Rome: 244 reviews and 478 photos

The Roman Forum
by Paul2001

For many the Roman Forum will prove to be somewhat disappointing. This is because there is little of the Forum that is still standing after centuries of marauders, looters and people just dismantling the old structures for much needed stone and brick. The Arch of Arch of Septimius Severus is probably the one major structure that is still standing more or less in its original state. As for me, my visit to the Roman Forum proved to a decisive turning point in my personal history as it rekindled by keen interest in ancient history. Virtually the first ancient world ruin that I had ever visited, once I left the Forum my imagination was set afire and I wanted to visit more. Ever since, I have been sure to include a tour of an old ruin of some sort during all my journeys around the world.
For my money, I thought that the Roman Forum looked great when I visited. It had been raining all morning. The rain had stopped and the sun came out just minutes before I paid for my ticket at the kiosk at the Forum's entrance. Once I entered the whole place seemed fresh. Even better the morning rain managed to keep away the hordes of tourist that visit the Roman Forum each day.
For those not exactly sure what the Roman Forum is, it was the commercial, political and religious centre of the Roman Republic and Empire. What you see today, was the focal point of the Western Civilization 2,000 years ago. What you see during your visit are temples, arches and buildings dedicated to various spiritual and political figures of the day. During Roman times, shopkeepers and moneychangers would set up between each structure. The place would have had a certain buzz. How much you would have enjoyed depends on how much you would have liked the crowds as the place, like any market, would have been saturated with people going about their business.
As the Empire begin to collapse in the late 3rd century A.D. so did the fortunes of the Roman Forum. Eventually it would be pillaged by the various barbarians on several occasions. .

Address: Via dei Fori Imperiali
Phone: 06-699-0110
Website: http://archeoroma.beniculturali.it/en/archaeological-site/roman-forum-and-palatine-hill

• Written Feb 3, 2004

Comments

Paul2001

“Follow your spirit!”