The New Clock Family Restaurant: "Authentic Mexican, and a little down-home comfort" El Paso Restaurant Tip by goingplaces

El Paso Restaurants: 25 reviews and 20 photos

New Clock Restaurant
by goingplaces

The New Clock Family Restaurant looks like an old 1950's-style American diner. I honestly don't think any of the tables or decorations have been updated since then, so that's not surprising! And, true to the name, there are clocks hanging everywhere inside the restaurant...not that they all tell the right--or even the same--time. All of that aside, this is one of those great, homey places where the servers remember you and someone will always leave a newspaper on the table. The food is a little bit Mexican, a little bit American, and all-around outstanding. The coffee is always fresh and tastes great, and chips and homemade salsa are a free appetizer...even for breakfast.

Favorite Dish: Like I mentioned before, the Clock serves Mexican and down-home American food for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. My favorite on the breakfast menu is the Salsa Verde Chilaquiles. They come with sides of refried beans and hash browns, with your choice of toast or a tortilla. I recommend the tortilla. Another favorite on the menu is SOS, which my Southern eyes recognized as biscuits and gravy. Honestly, I don't think you can go wrong with anything you choose from the menu. As for lunch and dinner, well, I haven't made it there that late in the day yet. One of these days I will, but I just cannot stop myself from bellying up there for breakfast.

Address: 8409 Dyer Street
Comparison: less expensive than average
Directions: You'll find the Clock on the less-seedy end of Dyer, two blocks past Gateways North and South. Open Mon-Sat, 6am-9pm. Sun, 6am-4pm.
Price: less than US$10
Rating: 5
Theme: Mexican

• Written Jan 30, 2004

Comments

goingplaces

“Letting life get in the way of travel....”

Have you been to El Paso?