"WhitChurch shopping area in Roseau" Dominica Off The Beaten Path Tip by dlytle

Dominica Off The Beaten Path: 18 reviews and 16 photos

WhitChurch shopping area in Roseau, Dominica
by dlytle

One of the first things that caught our eyes in Roseau was the lovely, sky blue, ornately decorated Whitchurch building to the right of the pier as you faced the street from the ships berth. So we decided to start our explorations of Roseau there.

This is, of course, a shopping area with a small pub. It also has an interesting meeting room that we saw that would hold a small group. While my wife did some browsing in the shops I took the opportunity to slip down to the dock that was built in front of the area. The dock afforded a very nice view of Roseau on one side and the bay and the mountains beyond on the other side. The weather was exceptional and the water very calm. So it made for really nice photographs.

After leaving the dock I poked my head into various nooks and crannies of the Whitchurch buildings. Working my way towards the back of the building from the water, I found a secluded little patio with some umbrella-covered tables. Just behind the patio was a nice little waterfall cascading into a small pond surrounded by exotic plants. It was really a serene place and I went to find my wife and show it to her.

All of these things can be seen in the photo collage that is included here.

• Written Jan 25, 2004

“Life is just one great destination after another!”

Have you been to Dominica?