"Comadre!!! Compadre!!!" Top 5 Page for this destination Cultural Tips Tip by carolinaEspada

Cultural Tips, Caracas: 48 reviews and 52 photos

Comadres and Compadres
by carolinaEspada

In Spanish we have a special relationship, a wonderfull bond that stablishes in between people, that I havent found in English, nor French, nor Italian. (I dont know if that exists in other languages).

I'm talking about the word COMADRE (female) and COMPADRE (male). What is that? Example: Lila and Juan have two daughters. I become the God Mother of both girls. Now I'm the "madrina" (God Mother) of LilaCarolina and Isabella... but what are Lila and Juan to me? She is my comadre and he is my compadre. That would be co-mother and co-father.

In south american countries we treasure this relationship a whole lot. When ever I talk to my comadre Lila about my "ahijadas" (God Daughters), I never tell her: "what are you going to do about...". No. I say: "What are WE going to do".

We really do treasure this bond.

People also call themselves: "Comadrita" (little comadre) or "Compadrito" (little compadre). Or just: "compa".

To be a comadre or a compadre is a serious and very loving matter.

• Written Jan 23, 2004

carolinaEspada Lives Here!

“Sooner or later I will be back to VT. First I have to upgrade my computer. I cant read your emails, nor "forum"...”

Have you been to Caracas?