"One museum you don't want to be interactive !" Top 5 Page for this destination London Off The Beaten Path Tip by sourbugger
London Off The Beaten Path: 1,701 reviews and 3,049 photos
If you are in the London Bridge /South bank area then this little museum is well worth a diversion.
They are rooms above an old church that belonged to St Thomas's hospital, which still stands.
Intially you enter a Garret room that has re-created the Apothacary of Victorian times. The smells and information range from the interesting to the blood-curdeling.
The room directly above the church is an old operating theatre. 'Theatre' is indeed the correct word as not only would trainee doctors crowd in here but paying members of the public as well.
Perhaps our cash-strapped National Health Service could learn a trick or two here and put operations on a Pay-TV channel.
On the whole this is a fascinating insight into victorian medicine, and it makes you bloody glad you live in more modern times where an anesthetic consists of more than a knock on the head with a mallet and a bottle of Gin.
Open every day about 10AM-5PM, about a fiver to enter, or free if you have a 'London Pass' (see other tip)
More Off The Beaten Path in London (58)
More Reviews (229)
- See All Will this work on oxford street ?
- See All Get 7 million pounds for free !
- See All WHAT A BARGAIN !!!
- See All Hampton court 1 : that famous maze.
- See All Who need's illegal drugs ?
- See All A mark of a civilised society
- See All Can we have our Skylon back please ?
- See All Just do as it says on the door.
- See All Fireman Sam Strikes again
- See All Sourbugger's guide to London's...
- See All Another tirade against the wax works...
- Why am I writing this ? I must be sad or...
sourbugger's Related Pages
Have you been to London?Share Your Travels