"No borders soon?" Top 5 Page for this destination Slovakia Favorite Tip by matcrazy1
Slovakia General: 83 reviews and 80 photos
Favorite thing: Ten new countries including Slovak Republic enter European Union on 1 May 2004. The border will surely remain at the same place but there will be no routine border checkup on Slovak border with Poland, Hungary, Austria and Czech. Maybe Slovakia will take EU currency - euro - a few years later. Probably prices will rise up but anyway I am sure they remain much lower for looong time than say in Austria/Germany.
What does joining EU mean for visitors to Slovakia?
ADVANTAGES (in my dreams :-):
- no border check-ups on borders with Poland, Hungary, Austria and Czech,
- cheaper car and personal insurances (valid for the whole EU),
- entry for EU visa holders (no seperate Slovak visa needed),
- for EU citizens: much higher amount of goods (cheap!) allowed to export for individual use like for example beer, possibility of buying cheap house/area in Slovakia (without special permissions from government as before), easier possibility of getting legal job in Slovakia.
- better quality and more choice of tourist facilities (accommodations, cheaper calls abroad etc.),
- better and cheaper transportation to Slovakia (cheap airlines?),
- more freeways and trains, scheduled buses to Slovakia,
- the same currency as in EU = euro (no need to change money, easy to compare prices),
- better security for travellers (law enforcement, police, less organized crimes like car thefts).
- higher prices,
- less choice of local home-made food and local products at all,
- somewhat less romantic and adventerous travelling (no check-ups on borders, no different currency etc.),
- new, hard - I suppose - border with Ukraine,
- for some non-EU citizens: more difficulties to obtain a visa (EU visa instead of Slovak visa).
More Reviews (73)
- See All Looking for your Slovak ancestors?
- Great partying!
- See All Roasted pigs, lambs
- See All Don't drink too... fast :-)
- See All He didn't sell drugs :-)
- See All Mala Fatra Mountains
matcrazy1's Related Pages
Have you been to Slovakia?Share Your Travels