"How it all began........." Nepal Things to Do Tip by Geisha_Girl

Nepal Things to Do: 439 reviews and 741 photos

The journey will take place on Christmas Day. I will spend Christmas Eve with my family. Church mass at midnight. The "arrival of Santa" for all of my adorable nieces and nephews. Opening of the gifts. I look forward to this every single year. On Christmas Day, as the family parts ways to attend "Round 2" of the Christmas festivities with their respective in-laws, I will be on a plane en route to the closest thing to heaven I can imagine. Nepal.

Un-freakin'-believable.

I never cease to amaze my family with my wild-haired ideas. I will say, though, that this is the most outrageous one yet.

Why Nepal?

People always find it odd that I would have such an interest in touring the Nepal and Tibet regions. Given my travel history........it's not quite the "Club Med vacation/Anedote for Civilization" type of traveling for me; and I don't think Oakenfold ever played a gig at this "Party Central."

That is the beauty of it. It is so unlike me to actually go through with something like this......yet it says EVERYTHING about who I am.

The irony intrigues me.

My obsession with exploring this faraway land dates back to over a decade ago. I was in the art business in Honolulu doing a show with an artist from China. His paintings of Tibetan and Nepalese everyday life was absolutely mesmerizing. He had paintings of women dressed in traditional attire working in the fields of the Himalayan villages. The magnificent scenery and colors were enough to convince me that I had to see this world up close.Those images stuck with me to this day.

I've got the backpack ready, the trekking boots, the bottle of Cristal champagne to ring in the New Year, and an undeniable desire for some spiritual cleansing during this incredible journey.I ask myself over and over again: Will my life change when I return from this state of nirvana?

Abso-freakin'-lutely.

• Written Jan 18, 2004

Comments

Geisha_Girl

“If you always heed the fears of others, you will never end up doing anything different”

Have you been to Nepal?