Apartments in Barcelona: "Very, very good Hostel" Barcelona Hotel Tip by surferob

Barcelona Hotels: 954 reviews and 886 photos

This is the lobby/lounge area.
by surferob

If it weren't for an internet search on I did before I left home, I would never have found this place. Despite its dead-center location in the old Gothic Quarter of town, oddly-named Apartments in Barcelona is almost totally hidden, like some chic LA nightclub with no sign on the door.

I'm glad I did find it though. It's a small, immaculate hostel run by a very friendly young couple. Even though it sits on one of Barcelona's main boulevards it seemed to me to be very quiet (although I wasn't in the street-facing side of the building). The beds are new and comfortable, there's a cozy little lounge with couch and tv, and a sparkling clean, fully-equipped kitchen. The bathrooms are also totally satisfactory, however the showers are very small (the only thing I was unhappy with in fact).

A bed in a six-bed dorm was 19.50 Euros. I'm not sure about the rest of the rates.

Unique Qualities: Location is great. The hostel is quite new and therefore doesn't have that dirty, rundown feel that so many do. Staff is very friendly and I think I recall there was no curfew or lockout. There are private rooms for couples traveling together, but be sure to book in advance for those because they were full in January, so you could expect the same in high season.

Address: 46 Via Laietana, Principal #2 (first floor)
Price Comparison: less expensive than average
Directions: Just find Number 46 on Via Laietana and ring the bell marked "Principal #2". Principal is another way of saying "first floor". There is little if any markings on the building, but that's the address.
Price: US$20-40
Theme: Hostel

Review Helpfulness: 4 out of 5 stars

• Updated Jan 25, 2004

“Living is making choices.”

Have you been to Barcelona?