"Bangkok Experience- Beware of Conman" Bangkok Tourist Trap Tip by LoveItAll

Bangkok Tourist Traps: 356 reviews and 183 photos

A middle-age man, dark tall dress smart with necktie will claimed he is a doctor who works across the road and every morning he comes to pray and he will show us where to go the very cheap Thai local products that are made for export markets (30% discount) This place is hugh and all other department stores only open at 1pm and you can?t do any shopping now. He will show you to a TukTuk (its all a setup) and claimed that he can even bargain and you only pay the TukTuk 40baht. From the Erawan Shrine (that is where I met this) to a place near the National Stadium. The TukTuk will bring you to a building where the signboard says "Thai Local Products" with a banner 30% off. We did not go in. What do you think you get from this place? Lowest quality merchandises, fake gemstones and silk etc etc. I supposed?So...Beware of this con. We realised too late. We was lucky, We only lost 40baht for the transport. We really get mad, I sent my family to MBK, my son and I went back to that place, I wanted to give him a piece of my mind. We were lucky, he was there now with his other con friend (smartly dress too). I shouted at him and I said "Come in here and Swear that you are a doctor??Swear to me that all other Shopping malls opened at 1 pm. I told my son, ?get me my camera?. Now he got really really nervous. His friend quickly called him. They jump into a taxi.

NB. Thinking back, I can be stubborn sometime. Never go back to confront these people. You do not know who they are. After all its a learning process we are all going through. Learn from your mistake.

• Updated Jan 15, 2004

LoveItAll's Related Pages

“Work hard - Then go see the world”

Ranked Member

Have you been to Bangkok?