"The Kings and Queens of London" Top 5 Page for this destination London Local Custom Tip by sourbugger
London Local Customs: 714 reviews and 880 photos
There are far more royal couples in London than Phil & Liz.
There are 'Pearly' Kings and Queens for many of the working-class neighbourhoods in London.
Their roots are somewhat obscure. Perhaps they began with a poor orphan who picked up spare buttons from costermongers for resale and began helping, in time, those less fortunatue than himself. Then again it could a reference back to a form of 'protection' for costermonger market stallholders,who used them to safeguard their pitches.
In either event they stem from the costermonger community in Victorian times, and the fashion for sowing thousands of these pearly buttons onto black clothing caught hold. Some of the suits are so heavy they must be a nightmare to wear in hot weather.
Pearly Kings and Queens can often be seen at any kind of Charity function in London, or parades, fetes , carnivals and such events. They do a great job in raising thousands of pounds for charity each year.
They also make a great photo opportunity !
More Reviews (279)
- See All Will this work on oxford street ?
- See All Museum of childhood
- See All Get 7 million pounds for free !
- See All WHAT A BARGAIN !!!
- See All Hampton court 1 : that famous maze.
- See All Who need's illegal drugs ?
- See All Can we have our Skylon back please ?
- See All Just do as it says on the door.
- See All Fireman Sam Strikes again
- See All Sourbugger's guide to London's...
- See All Another tirade against the wax works...
- Why am I writing this ? I must be sad or...
sourbugger's Related Pages
Have you been to London?Share Your Travels