"My life on the toilet" Top 5 Page for this destination Italy Warnings Or Dangers Tip by iandsmith

Italy Warnings and Dangers: 206 reviews and 134 photos

There we were in Corniglia of the Cinque Terre, dining on fine fresh seafood and salad,
soaking up what sun there was as it desperately sought a way through the semi-permanent haze of northern Italy. La dolce vita, as the phrase goes.
Sadly, the contrast to the next day was complete. In a municipal carpark in Verona, intestines conducting a bitter struggle to tie the tightest knot as fever firmly gripped my person and Rosemarie, not feeling too well herself, had just located a toilet just one floor above.
Now, one floor may not sound much to those of you currently enjoying good health but, let me assure you, on that day it was my personal mountain to climb. Even though I was able to use a lift, the sense that I may not be able to contain my bowels during that ever-so-brief journey upwards was omnipresent. Make it I did though and made haste as best I could to the toilet, throwing the door open knowing some small measure of relief was at hand. I was to be disappointed. In my weakened state, with legs barely able to support me, I had encountered a floor level toilet. What followed is probably best not described here but your imagination can fill in the gaps.
Suffice it to say it was the only one I came across in Italy until, that is, I had a similar experience in Malcesine which was odd because we'd eaten in the same restaurant the night before without any ill effects.

• Updated Apr 5, 2012

Comments

iandsmith

“The shortest distance between two people is laughter (note sign in picture)”

Have you been to Italy?