"The symbol of freedom" Plaza De Mayo Tip by wadekorzan
Plaza De Mayo, Buenos Aires: 74 reviews and 124 photos
In the middle of the city's main square, Plaza de Mayo, you will see the pyramid which was built to remember the May revolution. In 1810, a viceroy represented Spain's government in the colony of Argentina. The May Revolution in 1810 brought this to an end. Hence the name of the main square of the city, "May Square (Plaza de Mayo). This in turn led to the proclamation of Argentine independence on July 9, 1816.
The original pyramid was constructed in 1811, just one year after the revolution, and this original version is actually INSIDE the pyramid you see today on the square.
More Things to Do in Buenos Aires (26)
More Reviews (48)
- See All A good parilla in Palermo, a locals...
- See All Great hotel, great location, great price
- See All Museum ship Fragata Sarmiento
- See All Watermelons on the go
- See All how to recognize the subway entrance
wadekorzan's Related Pages
Have you been to Buenos Aires?Share Your Travels