"People should see:Basilica..." Piazza San Marco Tip by fotografik

Piazza San Marco, Venice: 311 reviews and 517 photos

People should see:
Basilica San Marco
The Campanile (you have to go up there!)
Doge's Palace (my favourite)
Rialto Bridge
Carnevale happens in February
Biennale in June (to Sept) - which I happened to see as well :-) Then the Venice Film Festival in September.
One must remember to take Vaporetto if they want to go from place to place. I believe you have to get the ticket in advance, which is at the ticket booth in the dock.
I think Doge's Palace represents the true Gothic architecture. It's huge and there are sooo many things you can see and definitely you need at least a whole day to see everything in the palace.
Piazza San Marco is my favourite spot regardless of the fact that it is where the tourist comes and hang around :-P
Do you know that if you are on top of the Campanile, you can see the Alps? well depending on the visibility but you have a chance! Do you also know that it is where Galileo demonstrated his telescope to Doge Leonardo Dona in 1609? Amazing huh? Don't worry the elevator will take you up there!
Did you all know that the Basilica San Marco is crowned with 5 huge domes? Well it is! It's a very beautiful basilica. Another amazing thing about this cathedral is its Baptistry Mosaics! We happened to discuss it in my Art History class in Florence and I just happened to see it for real! Goosebumps! :-P
It's so hard to explain what kind of feelings you get when you see these amazing architectures...it seems that words are not enough to describe it. You all have to be there in order to know what I am talking about.

Directions: Here are some info:
Campanile - (041) 522 40 64 open 9:30 a.m. - 3:45 p.m. daily
Basilica San Marco - (041) 522 52 05 10 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. daily and Sun 2 - 5 p.m.
Doge's Palace - (041) 522 49 51 Mar -