Toscano: "Good Northern Italian in Sodermalm" Restaurang Toscano Tip by yooperprof

Restaurang Toscano, Stockholm: 1 reviews and 1 photos

molto delicioso
by yooperprof

This was probably the best meal I had in Stockholm: very good Northern Italian in a small, charming restaurant on one of the side streets in Sodermalm. The amibience is delightful too. Hospitable, attentive service. One peculiar thing - there's no wine list. You tell the server what kind of wine you'd like to drink, and he brings you something suitable. But I forgot to be my normal vulgar American self, and neglected to ask the price. Whoops. After the meal, I realized I'd been drinking some of the most expensive wine of my life. Now, my main course was reasonably priced - realizing that this is Scandinavia and eating out here requires a considerable amount of financial courage. Nonetheless, I was still somewhat taken aback by the price of what was a cheerful, friendly, but not really exceptional white wine. It made me appreciate all those inexpensive California Chardonays that I've been taking for granted.
(To give them due credit, Toscano serves only Italian wines, and it's not their fault that Sweden taxes its alcohol so steeply.)

Favorite Dish: Interesting antipastas on the menu - I had a rich preparation of prosciutto served in a hearty tomato-based sauce. My main course - a seafood risotto - was outstanding. When I come back to Stockholm, I'd like to return here.

Address: 13 Timmermansgatan
Price Comparison: about average
Directions: Just off Hornsgatan in Sodermalm
Phone: 08-644-1035
Price: US$41 and up
Rating: 5
Theme: Italian

• Updated Apr 4, 2011

“from da u.p. to da world”

Have you been to Stockholm?