"So picturesque" Top 5 Page for this destination Brussels Off The Beaten Path Tip by Norali

Brussels Off The Beaten Path: 382 reviews and 539 photos

Ste-Catherine area: if you see this, enter! (I-G)
by Norali

Guess where in Sainte-Catherine area you would find this...

The entry of a deadend. Facade dates back to 17th century. Yet, this picturesque alley houses some tiny buildings from previous century (16th).

I was impressed to see how short people could be at that time. The door entrance (frame) of some houses there was so short, in fact.

It was nice to see those houses here.

One thing about the locals. While wandering in the nearby looking for this deadend, the nice VTer I was with and me crossed an old woman with a trolley. Seemingly, back from a shopping. You know, those old local women with a caddie trolley they pull, probably living alone and always keen to have some chat even with strangers.

Then, we met this lady. She saw us first looking around. Then, she asked "Qu'est-ce que vous cherchez?". "What are you looking for?"... I use to hear this type of question from a saleswoman who wants to either kick me off the shop (because it's 10mn before closing), either she would like to "help".

And here, this lady was just eager to show us around, with her smile, some brightness in her eyes. Keen to show "tourists" her area. Just lovely.

She told us that she used to pay a visit to a friend who lived in the dead-end we sought for. She started to explain a bit of the past, the life of this friend of her, the area... that it was really nice to live there, very picturesque, calm despite the busy area it is located in ... but her friend passed away last year or so...

She was nice.. and just hoped they wouldn't tear it down. Those houses were so small, not really straight, the walls leant a bit. I think they were like that from the beginning.. You know, those tiny houses from the past, that are not exactly straight. Definitely from the past and off beat track!

• Updated Jan 22, 2004

Norali Used To Live Here!

“Natural Highs Only ;-)”

Have you been to Brussels?