"A bet and a bath" Wyoming Things to Do Tip by KaiM

Wyoming Things to Do: 159 reviews and 314 photos

He is about to slip
by KaiM

Just eight miles south of the town of Thermopolis is the Wind River Canyon. Highway 20 leads right through it. A beautiful road you should take. The canyon is 12 miles long. Its cliffs rise to heights in excess of 2000 feet. I have very special memories when I think of this place. With some friends I was on my way back from Yellowstone to Laramie when we drove through Wind River Canyon. We made a short stop to take some pictures. One of the guys in the car jokingly said: "I bet 20 bucks that none of you will make it to the bottom of the canyon, across the river and up to the railroad tracks on the other side in 15 minutes." We were all discussing the matter, but none of us seriously. But suddenly one of my friends started climbing down. He made it to the bottom in record time. Then he tried to cross the river with dry feet by jumping from stone to stone... He slipped... And fell into the wildwaters of the Wind River. The water carried him several hundred feet. He had lost control and bumped against some rocks. Luckily he wasn't hurt and reached the other side of the river. He climbed up to the railroad tracks. His time: 8 minutes. He won 20 dollars but was totally wet, cold and exhausted... Was it worth the money? Well, at least it is a story we can tell our kids. And I even have a video tape of it :)

• Updated Dec 30, 2003

Have you been to Wyoming?