"24th December: Christmas time!" Top 5 Page for this destination Sweden Local Custom Tip by sim1

Sweden Local Customs: 148 reviews and 118 photos

24th December : Christmas time!
by sim1

Holidays & celebrations of Sweden
24th December: Christmas time!

God Jul! (Merry Christmas!)

24th December : Christmas time! Not the 25th and 26th are the most important days for Swedes, but the 24th is the 'real' Christmas day!

For me that is something to get used to, as I never considered the day of 'Christmas Eve' part of Christmas. That has never been a tradition for me. Hahaha, the 25th was the day to look out for! But I guess I am having Christmas a day early now :-)))
This day, like a lot of other Swedes I visited the family in the morning, had a skinkmacka (ham sandwich) for lunch. Went home just in time to see the 3 o'clock Disney Cartoons, opened the presents and enjoyed the Julbord (Christmas dinner).

The Swedish Christmas traditions are so unlike the typical Christmas that I expected: It's a day early, there is fish instead of turkey on the dinner table and a Jultomte (Christmas gnome) instead of a Santa (like in the Coca-Cola advertising saying HoHoHo) is bringing the presents. So as you can see this was quite a culture shock for me ;-))

If you want to read more about the Swedish Christmas traditions, you can have a look at my Hedlandet page.

Website: http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/1c048/2f31e/

• Updated Feb 24, 2010

Comments

sim1 Lives Here!

sim1