"The Impressive REAL ALCÁZAR" Alcazar Tip by Krystynn
Alcazar, Sevilla: 134 reviews and 307 photos
The Moorish architects and builders were also remarkably brilliant and knew how to keep the entire palace cool during the scotching summer months.
Remember, this was way before electricity was discovered and the air-conditioner was even invented. The walls of the Alcázar are 9 ft thick for protection against the summer heat; and each room used to be separated by curtains instead of doors (read: to promote air-circulation/ ventilation). Trees with huge swaying leaves dotted the palace grounds and surrounding areas which kept most of the buildings in the shade.
Another memorable room was The Court of the Maidens for it was here that the great sultan was presented with 100 new concubines every 5 years! The most gorgeous women in the land were paraded before him for his picking. If I were living in the era of the Moorish kings, I certainly wouldn't cherish such moments.
Address: Plaza del Triunfo
Directions: Opening Hours: Tuesdays to Sundays from 9:30AM to 5.00PM.
Phone: 95 450 23 23
More Things to Do in Sevilla (7)
More Reviews (28)
- Moving Around Sevilla Via Cabs/Taxis
- See All Flea Market Shopping!
- Hola España!
- Watching Your Favorite Soccer Team In...
- See All The Most Important Event In The Sevilla...
- See All The Best Tablao In Sevilla (In My Eyes)
- See All When In Sevilla, Feast on PAELLA!
- Calle Feria & Alameda de Hercules,...
- See All Pilgrims Progress...At The Sevilla...
- See All The Hotel for the Jetsets, High Society...
Krystynn's Related Pages
Have you been to Sevilla?Share Your Travels