Brookstone: "The perfect innovative gift idea" Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Shopping Tip by b1bob

United States of America Shopping: 91 reviews and 109 photos

by b1bob

When we were kids going to the mall, my brother and I would always ask Mama and Daddy to let us wander into Spencer Gifts, not to buy anything, but to see all the weird merchandise they had for sale. This is the place for grownups to do that.

What to buy: All manner of gadgets from office cubicle fans to automatic remote controlled vacuum cleaners are for sale here. For my fellow travelers, Brookstone also sells those T.S.A.-approved luggage locks so that y'all might recover a sense of security after they banned regular locks. Before Brookstone opened at Stony Point Shopping Centre south of the James River, I would always go to the one at Fair Oaks Mall in Fairfax. My university friend James would meet me there. Both of us are notorious cheapskates, so we never did buy any of the expensive gadgetry. Instead, James always likes to park it in one of those leather massage chairs. At $3000 U.S., he probably wouldn't buy one even if he won the lottery, but he likes getting an occasional free sample.

Theme: Other

• Updated May 14, 2004

Have you been to United States of America?