"Art Nouveau in Fine Arts museum area" Top 5 Page for this destination Antwerp Favorite Tip by Norali

Antwerp General: 202 reviews and 221 photos

Fine arts museum area
by Norali

Favorite thing: During our walking (Nov. 30), we reached it after leaving Leopold Dewaelstraat. You know? the one on which Ann De meulemeester boutique is. Your choice: entering the Fine arts museum (more of my style) or strolling in the neighbourhood.

Dannie explained the difference between a Art Nouveau house and a Art Nouveau influenced house.

Whilst the latter has the Art Nouveau "trimmings" on its facade (the whip lines, the flowers ..), the former requires, in addition, more research in its design. From outside, they may seem the same but the difference is the cohesion between interior and exterior.

If I understand it well, the Art Nouveau house was thought from the interior first then outside setting was designed accordingly, never separately.

For Belgian plots of land being cut deep, townhouses here use to be rather long than large. Art Nouveau houses are thought according to the need of light. For that, it requires the use of iron-glass structure, central stained-glass ceiling or dome in premices that need to me more enlightened. Windows are also designed according the need of enlightning. Wide windows for study rooms and dining- rooms and less light for smoking rooms, for instance. Inside, skylights are used for staircases too.

One can "guess" from outside, by looking at the buildings, the use of rooms, since you would notice wider windows..etc.. Yes, you read "guess" since they wouldn't show you all. Hence the use of a specific glass whose blurry effect allows to preseve intimacy, while letting light come...

Want to know more? I had a chance to find this website, user-friendly with infos to "get it all": historical facts, evolution, research in the use and properties of building elements, technical points, the influences, the trends, the Masters... Art Nouveau around Europe.

Website is in French and Dutch but it is edited by a team from Brussels, "Art Nouveau capital city".

Fondest memory: I remembered that during my very first walk (July), with Dannie in Antwerp, I didn't want a picture of this "boat house" on Schildersstraat. It was cute, yes! I knew it was Art Nouveau but I saw it as the obvious thing in Belgium.

It took the rehearsal mini-meeting in mid- October to arise my interest in the building. Meanwhile, what happened? I don't know.

I've been always interested in design, architecture but so far, I've never pushed it that far to make research on Art Nouveau. You know, going beyond the surface :) It's at that very moment that I started researching on it... and I recommend checking the above website. You'll learn a lot without being bored.

You may be interested in Horta museum too. English, French, German and Dutch there. http://www.hortamuseum.be/

• Updated Jan 4, 2004

Comments

Norali

“Natural Highs Only ;-)”

Have you been to Antwerp?