" Lindisfarne causeway" Top 5 Page for this destination Lindisfarne Favorite Tip by gosiaPL

Lindisfarne General: 8 reviews and 11 photos

Favorite thing: The only way to get to the Holy Island is by a long causeway that links it to the mainland. Twice a day the tide recedes and uncovers the road - or, as some say, the tide comes in and covers the road ;-).

We started crossing very early in the morning and we actually planned to walk to Lindisfarne. I can't remember whose idea it was to shortcut across the uncovered sand instead of going along the road, but we soon discovered it was a bad idea - we were up to our ankles in mud! So we hurried back to the road and soon our van came along to pick us up. I guess our driver received our telepathic message! ;-)

The safe crossing times are displayed at the causeway but you can also get them online if you want to plan your trip before you get there. Just remember that tide times are subject to variations and also depend on strong winds, so do not plan the crossing near the extreme times.

Will add the photo later, I left it out accidentally when scanning all the other ones.

• Updated Dec 27, 2003

“Take the road less travelled...”

Have you been to Lindisfarne?